Frequently Asked Questions
1. At what age can my child start at Bright Beginners?
The playschool offers childcare services to children ages 1 to 6 years. Children over 3s must be potty-trained.
2. What should be the ideal age for children to start English playschool?
Early childhood education is the foundation of a child’s learning development. It is an important period in a child’s life. We believe that a child should start at the age of three to give him/her the best quality early childhood education and care he/she needs.
3. What should the teacher-child ratio be?
We maintain a teacher-child ratio of 1:8 for the 3-6 year old children, while the toddlers’ group has a teacher-child ratio of 1:4. We make the effort to keep this ratio low for the children’s best interest.
4. How are the children divided in the playschool?
Small groups of children are divided according to age level. The toddler group (1-3 years) is a separate group with activities mainly in Finnish language, while the 3-6 years old have the English early childhood programme.
5. What credentials does the staff have?
Our vibrant and engaging staff is committed to creating a welcoming and encouraging space in which your child can play, grow, and learn. Our team has a combination of qualified kindergarten teachers, preschool teachers, and nursery nurses with years of experience in a childcare setting. Mostly native/fluent English and Finnish speakers that works professionally and effectively as a team. Our staff are committed on updating their professional development in order to stay current in early education practices.
6. Describe a typical day in the playschool.
The playschool opens on weekdays from 7.30 to 17.00. Our typical daily schedule is a combination of circle/bright time, structured/free play, centre activity time, meals, story time, nap/rest time and outdoor play. Detailed weekly programme can be found at the bulletinboard.
7. What is a typical lesson plan?
Each week we have planned activities that address motor, creative arts, language, numeracy, sensory, social-emotional and self-help skill development.
8. What are the daily drop off and pick up procedures?
The daily procedures are planned to offer your child the maximum safety and security. Parents are required to escort their child when entering the playschool in the morning. At the end of the day, children are individually released to their parent or to an authorised person.
9. Does Bright Beginners take field trips?
The playschool arranges educational field trips at least once a month to incorporate learning in a wide variety of ways. In addition to our regular library visits and forest walks, the children enjoy day trips to museums, the farm, zoo, botanical garden, elderly home, community agencies such as fire station, post office, police station, etc. We also organise trips such as puppet shows/ theatrical play and educational workshops for them to enjoy and enhance their hands-on learning.
10. What is the playschool policy for outdoor play in severe weather?
Children are encouraged to dress for the weather, with waterproof clothes and warm layers on wet/chilly days. The playschool has outdoor play twice a day in all seasons. For safety reasons, the children stay indoors on severe weather such as heavy storm, blizzard or when the temperature reaches -10°C (for under 3s) and -15°C (for over 3s). On extremely cold weather, children are engaged with indoor activities. If weather permits, we will have a short walk around the area.
11. Does the playschool arrange child assessments?
Child assessment is held twice a year through parent-teacher conference meeting to discuss their child’s development and together set the goals we will work toward during the year and assess progress toward those goals. In addition, each child has a portfolio folder with their child’s work samples, and progress report to share with parents.
12. Do you have a policy for sick children?
To avoid spreading contagious disease to the staff, children and their families, sick children must stay home for 24-hours symptoms free. If the child becomes ill during activities, parents are contacted immediately to pick up their child within one hour of notification.
13. Why choose us?
All parents want what’s best for their child and while there are many daycare choices to choose from, we take pride on the following reasons why you should choose us!
- Bright Beginners is a small facility. We want to get to know our parents and children. It is very important for us to be able to attend to each and individual child in our care and to build a strong relaitionship with all BB parents and families.
- We use a creative curriculum where children learn through play-based activities. We want your child to LEARN and enjoy learning.
- Instant communication throughout the day. Parents are updated with their child’s daytime activities (napping, eating, during playtime). We also send photos of your child so you can rest assured that they are well taken care of.
- Qualified staff with vast experiences in childcare. We have 2 qualified kindergarten teachers, 1 preschool teacher and 2 nursery nurses for a maximum of 30 children in our care. The staff are multicultural and speaks either English and/or Finnish fluently.
- Very spacious and colourful facility where children can enjoy learning through play.
- We accommodate children from ages 1-6 years. We have the Tigerlilies (1-3 years) and the Dandelions group (3-6 years).
- Our operational hours is from Monday through Friday, 7.30 – 17.00.