Frequently Asked Questions
1. At what age can my child start at Bright Beginners?
The playschool offers childcare services to children ages 1 to 6 years. Children over 3s are required to be potty-trained.
2. What should be the ideal age for children to start English playschool?
Early childhood education is the foundation of a child’s learning development. It is an important period in a child’s life. We believe that a child should start at the age of three to give him/her the best quality early childhood education and care he/she needs.
3. What should the teacher-child ratio be?
We maintain a small-sized group at BB. We follow the standard teacher-child ratio of 1:8 for children 3-6 years, while the under 3s’ group has a teacher-child ratio of 1:4. We make the effort to keep this ratio low for the children’s best interest.
4. How are the children divided in the playschool?
We are licensed to provide maximum 28 children at Bright Beginners. Small groups of children are divided according to age level. We have two groups: The Tigerlilies, with children under 3s of age and the Dandelion group with 3-6 years old children.
5. What credentials does the staff have?
Our vibrant and engaging staff is committed to creating a welcoming and encouraging space in which your child can play, grow, and learn. Our team has a combination of qualified kindergarten teachers, preschool teachers, and nursery nurses with years of experience in a childcare setting. Mostly native/fluent English and Finnish speakers that works professionally and effectively as a team. Our staff are committed on updating their professional development in order to stay current in early education practices.
6. Describe a typical day in the playschool.
The playschool opens on weekdays from 7.30 to 17.30. Our typical daily schedule is a combination of circle/bright time, structured/free play, centre activity time, meals, story time, nap/rest time and outdoor play.
7. What is a typical lesson plan?
Each week we have planned activities that address motor, creative arts, language, numeracy, sensory, social-emotional and self-help skill development. Our weekly activities include literacy and language, mathematics, sensory/science, nature school, music club, gym, creative arts and crafts, “touch and go” digital learning, cooking class, library visits and occasional field trips. Detailed weekly programme are posted on our bulletinboard.
8. What are the daily drop off and pick up procedures?
The daily drop off/pick up procedures are planned to offer your child the maximum safety and security in our playschool. Parents are required to escort their child when entering the playschool in the morning. At the end of the day, children are individually released to their parent or to an authorised person.
9. Does Bright Beginners take field trips?
The playschool arranges educational field trips at least once a month to incorporate learning in a wide variety of ways. In addition to our regular library visits and forest walks, the children enjoy day trips to museums, the farm, zoo, botanical garden, elderly home, community agencies such as fire station, post office, police station, etc. We also organise trips such as puppet shows/ theatrical play and educational workshops for them to enjoy and enhance their hands-on learning.
10. What is the playschool policy for outdoor play in severe weather?
Children are encouraged to dress for the weather, with waterproof clothes and warm layers on wet/chilly days. The playschool has outdoor play twice a day in all seasons. For safety reasons, the children stay indoors on severe weather conditions such as heavy storm, blizzard or when the temperature reaches -10°C (for under 3s) and -15°C (for over 3s). On extremely cold weather, children are engaged with indoor activities and games. If weather permits, we will have a short walk around the area.
11. Does the playschool arrange child assessments?
Child assessment is held twice a year through parent-teacher conference meeting to discuss their child’s development and together set the goals for the year and assess the progress toward those goals. In addition, each child has a portfolio folder with their child’s work samples, and progress report to share with parents.
12. Do you have a policy for sick children?
We have a very strict illness policy at BB. To avoid spreading contagious disease to the staff, children and their families, children who are ill must stay home for 24-hours symptoms free. If the child becomes ill in playschool, parents are contacted immediately to pick up their child within one hour of notification.
13. Why choose us?
All parents want what’s best for their child and while there are many daycare choices to choose from, we take pride on the following reasons why you should choose us!
- Bright Beginners is a small-group sized playschool. We want to get to know our parents and children. It is very important for us to be able to attend to each and individual child in our care and to build a strong relaitionship with all BB parents and families.
- We use a creative curriculum where children learn through play-based activities. We want your child to be happy, to explore and learn in a fun and enjoyable way.
- Effective communication between parents and teachers. Parents are updated with their child’s daytime activities (ie. napping, eating, playtime, etc.). In addition, photos of special moments are sent to parents, to see what their child are doing during the day.
- Qualified and dedicated professionals. We have a diverse team who are committed in providing a nurturing and stimulating environment to every child in our care. We have kindergarten teachers, nursery nurses and a playschool assistant who speaks fluent English and/or Finnish.
- Very spacious and colourful facility where children can enjoy learning in a pleasant atmosphere.
- We accommodate 28 children from ages 1-6 years. We have the Tigerlilies (1-3 years) and the Dandelions group (3-6 years).
- Our operational hours is from Monday through Friday, 7.30 – 17.00.